Working in Denmark

Having a part-time job while you study is very common in Denmark. Some students even hold a job that is relevant for their studies. As an international student, you will have the opportunity to work while you live here and to seek full-time employment when you have completed your studies. Taking a part-time job besides your studies is a perfect opportunity to get to learn a lot more about Danish culture and to get to know other people.

Photo: VisitAarhus; Source: Aarhus University

As an international student following a higher educational program, you are allowed to work 37 hours per week (EU & Nordic citizens) or 20 hours a week (other foreign citizens), as well as full-time during the months of June, July and August. Your work permit is given when you apply for your residence certificate/permit. If you are a Nordic citizen, you can work without a permit.

If you work illegally in Denmark, you risk deportation, and you and your employer risk fine or imprisonment. Therefore, it is very important that you receive your work permit.

Tax registration

If you are staying in Denmark for more than six months, you are fully liable to taxation. This means that any income earned in Denmark is subject to taxation in Denmark. Any income earned in another country is subject to taxation in that particular country.

If you take up employment in Denmark, you need to contact the local tax authorities (SKAT) in your municipality. SKAT will issue you an electronic tax card, which your employer needs in order to calculate your taxes. The Danish tax rules are quite complicated so it is important that you talk to the local tax administration before you start working. If you do not have an electronic tax card when you start working, your employer must withhold 60% of your salary. Remember that the taxes are part of the Danish welfare society, which provide you with a good provision of public services, such as free healthcare.

What to bring when registering at the tax authorities

  • Information about salary and pension (contract of employment)
  • Your purchase agreement if you have purchased a property
  • Information about free benefits (free car or free board and lodging)
  • Credit information about interest income and expenses, foreign accounts etc.
  • Personal identification, e.g. a passport

For more information, please contact Aarhus University.