Working while you study

Part-time work

At Coventry University we realise that working part-time while studying is a necessity for many students – be it to cover living and academic expenses or to just to earn a bit of extra spending money. But money is not the only thing you can gain from part-time work. It’s a great way to gain real, first-hand experience of the world of work and you may be able to get some experience in the field you wish to pursue. However, remember – if you’re a full-time student, it will be just that: full-time, so be realistic and make sure that you are confident that you can manage your work and study time effectively, so you don’t compromise reaching your full potential.

Based in theHub, thefutureworks is the University’s own commercial recruitment agency, which provides a choice of flexible temporary opportunities for students.

Become a Student Ambassador

You can also work part-time with the University’s schools, faculties and departments at events such as open days, and get paid on a project-by-project basis. Look out for student ambassador recruitment notices around campus, within your school/faculty and on the student portal. Being a student ambassador is also excellent work experience for your CV. 

International students

If you are an international student and have had to obtain entry clearance before you arrived in the UK your visa stamp will include the words ‘work (and any changes) must be authorised’, this means you can work up to 20 hours per week during term-time and full-time during your vacation period.

Please be aware that, as an international student working in the UK, there are certain restrictions on the activities that you are allowed to undertake. These are discussed below under ‘conditions attached to your student visa’.

You are allowed to work if your student visa or biometric ID card states:

  • Able to work as authorised by The Secretary of State;
  • Work (and any changes) must be authorised.

You are not allowed to work if your student visa or sticker states:

  • No work or recourse to public funds;
  • No work or engaging in business;
  • Restricted work term-time.

If you have been issued with this stamp and your course is longer than 6 months, you should challenge this remark and ask to speak with the Entry Clearance Manager, to try and get this removed, before coming to the UK.

Conditions attached to your student visa

If your student visa or sticker states: ‘Able to work as authorised by The Secretary of State’ or ‘Work (and any changes) must be authorised’ then you may work for a maximum of 20 hours a week during term-time and full-time during university vacations.

You must not engage in business, self-employment or provide services as a professional sports person or entertainer.

You must not pursue a career by filling a permanent full-time vacancy.

It is very important that you follow the conditions attached to your student visa. The Home Office is very strict and any anomalies they discover when you apply for a visa extension (FLR(S)),will jeopardize your chances of extending your visa. If you are unsure whether or not you are entitled to work during your studies please contact the International Office.

International Office
Coventry University
Priory Street

Tel: +44 (0) 24 7615 2152